Monday, October 26, 2015

Random Photo and a Poem



The Clothes Line 
~Anonymous~

A clothes line was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the company tablecloths
With intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside,
As brand new infant clothes
Were hung so carefully with pride.

The ages of the children
Could so readily be known,
By watching how the sizes changed,
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck
As extra sheets were hung;
Then night-clothes and a bathrobe too
Haphazardly were strung.

It said "Gone on vacation now",
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told "We're back!" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If washing was dingy grey,
As neighbors raised their brows 
And looked disgustedly away.

But clotheslines now are in the past
For dryers make work less,
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbor's knew each other best
By what was on the line.

23 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

what a cute shot.

William Kendall said...

That poem makes sense, and I like the shot! We had a clothesline outside where I grew up, so as long as the weather was warm enough, most of the laundry went out on the line.

Michelle said...

I do like this poem. I always enjoy hanging my clothes on the line.

Linda said...

I really like the poem, Denise, it reminds me of my childhood, and your lovely photo accompanies it perfectly!

genie said...

Denise...I just adore this picture and the poem...it is wonderful. We had a clothesline when I was growing up, and we had one out here on the farm until about 15 years ago. Now I have one of those that go around in a circle. I still like mu towels dried by the sun. T’is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Elephant's Child said...

I much prefer sun-dried clothes, and we don't use the dryer a lot.
While living in the country I can remember being told that my visitors had gone 'We saw the sheets on the line'...

Red said...

But this was hard work. I remember Mom hanging clothes on the line at minus 30 C. It was harsh. However, I like your poem and in many respects it was true. And yes, it was much better when everybody knew each other.

Cloudia said...

Such a wise and well wrought piece! Sociological & ART














ALOHA, Friend
ComfortSpiral

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_('')


Stephanie said...

A wonderful shot! We have a bylaw here that we cannot have a clothesline. I like that poem.

Rose said...

I don't hang all my clothes out, but I hang them when I can...I am the only one in the neighborhood that does!

Indrani said...

A cute poem for the theme. :)

llandudnopictures said...

Words and picture are a perfect match.

My Life in the Charente said...

Everyone here pretty much still has a clothes line so we still have a story to tell. Great verse. Have a good day Diane

Valerie said...

Lovely reminder of days gone by.... almost. It's a long time since I saw washing on a line. People here seem to prefer drying the laundry in a machine.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Denise, I love the cute poem! I am happy that we have dryers now. Have a happy week!

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Gostei bastante da fotografia.
Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

Lux G. said...

As much as I appreciate how modern and progressive our time is now, I miss the basics. Especially when people socialize in real life.

Karen S. said...

Lovely image and poem, and it brings back some very happy memories!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like this poem, the words are so apt.
Great photo too and the colours on the line are good to look at too!

Hope your week is going well.

All the best Jan

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

A delightful house and garden, on a glorious day

EG CameraGirl said...

Fun poem to accompany this photo. I'm smiling.

Kathy said...

I love seeing clothes hanging on a line. Almost a thing of the past.

Kay said...

I love this poem! How true it is. We now still hang our wash out in Hawaii, but it's hidden in the back. We use our dryer on the mainland.