Monday, October 12, 2015

Lobster anyone?

Or maybe this should read "Giant Lobster Attacks Truck".


Gregg and I headed to Freddies today as we felt like a cheeseburger. Usually we make our meals at home but decided to forego that and get lunch out, before running a few errands.  


We came out of the restaurant to be greeted by this?  I know it wasn't there when we arrived. We would have noticed don't you think? I couldn't quite make it out at first, it merited closer inspection.  


It didn't take long for us to realize that it was a replica of a lobster.



Oh for a pat of butter said Gregg and now he's hankering for lobster.


At first I thought it might have been advertising a new seafood restaurant but it is actually the work of a very talented artist.  His website can be found here.  On the home page is a great photo of the truck, the lobster and an ocean view, along with other sculptures he has created. A very talented guy indeed!

It's been a quiet week since we returned from visiting our family.  Quiet but enjoyable, just pottering around. We have settled into our normal routine, though there is another project to be done in our bedroom. One evening when we were downstairs we heard one heck of a thud. On investigation we realized that a shelf came away from inside the walk-in closet, and had tipped everything off the shelf onto the floor. Well, it has taken 24 years to finally throw its hands up and now I am in the middle of decluttering the closet. There will also be a little repair work as it split the drywall a bit. Just another project to add to the list, and more trips to the hardware store, Goodwill and to the trash recycling center in our future. Why is it that things start breaking down all at once?  Maybe our house is trying to tell us something. I think it's 'let's sell up and move to Hawaii'.  What do you think Gregg? A resounding no is heard, it's just entropy he says. Let's go to Maine and get some lobster!

Anyhoo, we came back home after lunch and a few hours later we found ourselves at our local Asian supermarket. One of the reasons for no Monday Food Post today is that we have been either having simple meals or making dishes I have put on here before, like this Thai Basil Chicken. Gregg had a hankering for it and wanted it for tonight's dinner, so when we got home the second time this is what we put together. Actually, he does most of the work which is another reason I said, "Great idea!"  My contribution is that I read the instructions out as he cooks, while sitting at the kitchen table putting together the sauce ingredients and also picking the leaves off the Thai Basil stems.  It's a win-win and our house now has this wonderful aroma.  We both love Thai food and never would have thought we could have put one together ourselves ten years ago, instead of waiting for a special occasion to go to our favorite Thai restaurant.

Added note 10-13-15: I found out its name from the website.  This is Art the Lobster.

33 comments:

  1. Now that is a very large sculpture. I can just imagine being in a car and it passes by, you'd take a double look at it wouldn't you.

    It is nice to be able to 'potter' around after being away, although it does appear you have a few projects on the go ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get my big mallet!


    ALOHA
    ComfortSpiral

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")


    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lobster. Quirky fun.
    And rather a lot of things (household and human) are coming apart in my hands here too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool photo of the lobster truck. And a cool shot of Gregg! I have started working on my closet and finding a lot for the local Goodwill. Have fun! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, (on the whole post). Everything does happen at once in an older house. But we had a closet shelf rack come off and fall at our Florida cottage while we were gone last summer (a year ago). We got back to all our clothes in a heap on the floor and some plaster to repair. Bill said that I had too many clothes >)... so not true .

    Your lobster find is pretty funny -- I would have thought restaurant too and would be with Greg in wanting some. In fact, just seeing the picture makes me feel like that. (But we will have to 'settle' for Dungeness crab here in the Northwest. ... Yum).

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is lots of it there for you, even after we ate our way through the whole coast. Repairs to a house a part of life, that's why I'm not so sure we are smart to own one as opposed to renting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olá querida, passei por aqui para agradecer sua doce presença
    no meu cantinho.Obrigada !!!
    Abraços, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite the large sculpture on a truck. Have fun decluttering and fixing up the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh that is one neat truck, and i LOVE lobster, the real thing!!! we have had that shelf thing happen twice in this house. once in the hall closet and once in the garage, both disasters took a long time to clean up as both needed to be done anyway and we did them right!!!!!

    off topic but kinda' on topic, the chandelier in our entryway also let loose one night, talk about scary and what a mess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise, this is quite an amazing sculpture! At first I thought it was advertising for either a fish store or a restaurant that serves fresh fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went through a string of meltdowns with this house last year. I hope I'm okay now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you all about did flips when you came out and saw this. Yes, he is quite the artist. I have been fed the best meals the last 3 days at the Mountain Institute. We do not go out much because I have to be so careful what I eat. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That thing looks really weird!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you hear me laughing. Well that wa agood way to start the day. That is a brilliant sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, you'd've certainly noticed that! If ever I need a sculpture of a lobster I'll know who to contact.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sculpture is fabulous. I do admire people who can make such things. By the way, could I borrow your Greg for a few days.... a man who cooks would be very welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Denise, that lobster was a great photo find! And, if Gregg wants to gonto Maine for lobster then please let us know and we can all meet there. As you know, we are always up for an adventure and seeing you both again would be a treat! Of course, you could also visit NH as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I checked out his site, he is talented, the truck is sure and attention getter and great advertising for him, also for people who sell lobsters.. LOL since i don't eat lobster, it would have to be a big burger on the truck to make me go looking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderfull lobster! It is indeed a work of craft man ship. Groetjes,

    Hetty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos of the giant lobster. The maker is certainly a fabulous artist.

    It is wonderful for both of you to prepare the chicken dish together. I am sure you had a wonderful time.

    very interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  21. More work to do!

    That is a very eye catching sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Thai food, too, and we eat at the local Thai restaurant here quite frequently.

    Well, what's wrong with relocating to Hawaii? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  23. attack of the alien lobsters

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have loved this post...just listening to what you have done today. That is a huge lobster...going to check out his website now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. But of course, although just the size that fits on my plate please! I really like the dog in your header photo, very cute! I do like the sculpture too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Denise, when I first saw this lobster post I thought you were going to tell us you WERE in Maine! Then i would have to try to find you and meet you in person! If you ever are up this way, be sure to let me know! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your bulldog at the ocean header is so cute. Love the lobster! It looks so real!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a car !!
    But the little garden is so nice.

    ReplyDelete