Sunday, October 11, 2015

BABY SNAPPING TURTLE

This is a baby snapping turtle. Gregg and I were sitting on a bench on the boardwalk in Virginia Beach, looking at the ocean. I had brought a cup of coffee with me from the hotel foyer. Having finished it I was looking for a trash receptacle but realized that they had all been removed before the approaching storm. I had been holding onto it until I could throw it away back at the hotel.


A couple approached us and the lady asked me if I had finished with my drink and could she have the container. They explained they had found something and the husband showed me what he held in the palm of his hand. I asked is that a sea turtle? It was so small I couldn't tell. No, the lady said, sea turtles don't have a tail and she showed me the one on this little guy, as tiny as it was. She also said she was a trained wildlife rehabilitator and was going to take it to get some tender loving care before releasing it. They needed my empty cup to hold it. She thought it had been washed down from the ponds in the storm. I was happy to hand my empty cup over to her and off they went with one very lucky little snapper, and my knowledge had been expanded on how to identify a baby. Bigger ones are easier. If you click here you can read more about them.  As cute as this one is they turn into something quite formidable and I would be very, very careful if I came across one.  


I am linking this post with Michelle at Nature Notes
and Judith at Mosaic Monday here.

34 comments:

Linda said...

How lovely, Denise...so sweet and I love the pattern on its shell! :)

Gunilla Bäck said...

Adorable! I agree, the patterns on the shell are very pretty.

Margaret Adamson said...

That is one fortunate critter.

Elephant's Child said...

What a lucky snapping turtle to be found by someone who was knowledgeable and helpful.

Valerie said...

Gosh, Denise, you do have some fabulous 'adventures'. I didn't know a turtle could be that small. I hope the little fellow does well.

Sandra said...

he is adorable, hope he will be ok... the big ones can take off a finger or so i am told.

gigihawaii said...

Cute little thing.

eileeninmd said...

What a cute baby turtle. I am glad it was found by the rehabilitator. Great post! Enjoy your Sunday!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That little critter would be easy to miss.

Red said...

Great story and a very kind person to rescue this little guy.

Adam said...

it looks very cute, especially for something that grows up monstrous and vicious

Hannah said...

The baby looks so cute, I know the adults are not. When I was a child in Houston my reckless brother caught an adult and had it in his room, which had a screen door with a grill at the bottom. He woke one morning to find the snapping turtle had gotten out of its tub and climbed the grill, they can use their beak-like mouth like a parrot to climb. My parents made him let it go. I had recurrent nightmares about my school classroom having a flooded floor and stepping in the mouth of an alligator when I got up to sharpen my pencil, I think from the snapping turtle.

Gwen said...

awww, how sweet. I hope it survived. :)

SeagullSuzie said...

What a lovely story Denise.

William Kendall said...

Hard to believe they're that small... I've seen the adults, and they're faster than you expect for something that big.

Jayne said...

What a cutie -- but the adults are mean! They aren't called snapping turtles for nothing! lol

Lowcarb team member said...

What a cute little thing and wonderful markings.

All the best Jan

Cloudia said...

Well I'll be!







ALOHA
ComfortSpiral

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

pattisjarrett said...

What a cutie!

llandudnopictures said...

What a beauty!

Tomoko said...

Such a cute baby turtle!! Yes,I like the pattern on its shall too. I think I have not seen that tiny and sweet turtle in person. The little baby was lucky to have you.

Kathy said...

Oh, yes, they are real life monsters when they grow up. But all babies are adorable, no matter what the species!

Stephanie said...

Adorable little thing.

Rajesh said...

Great shots of the baby turtles.

Cathy Keller said...

So very tiny and vulnerable. I do like turtles!!! Even snapping turtles! Have a wonderful week!

Rose said...

Such a cute little one, but would not want to get bit by a big one!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

What a sweet little turtle and thank heavens for caring people to look after it. Cute mosaic with the turtle in the bottom!

Donna said...

I don't think I have ever seen a snapping turtle this small...so cute.

Snap said...

I'm betting the little snapping turtle could do some damage too! Perfect timing ... finishing the drink so the turtle had a place to stay to continue his journey. Fun post!

fredamans said...

So cute. Too bad the big one he turns into is not as cute. I seen those big snappers when I was a kid, they're no joke.

Rambling Woods said...

Lucky turtle...very lucky... I have heard that many turtles have been washed down during the flood and are being rescued if they are lucky...Michelle

Debbie said...

omgoodness, it is so tiny!! cute captures!!!

many thanks denise, for your kind comment today. my post was a long read and i appreciate your words more than you will ever know. some people are just happy, no matter the circumstances. i hope today is a good day for you!!!!

NC Sue said...

I've got a healthy respect for snapping turtles, even at this size!
Please come link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/10/a-little-bit-squirrelly.html

Mary Cromer said...

Oh I so love that you found this sweetheart and were able to get it to someone who can make sure it has a chance to survive. I love all turtles, and that one was adorable~