Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday Food Post - Beef Stew



I am like a Pavlov's dog when it is cold outside as I immediately start looking for a beef stew recipe.  I have already shared variations and sampled many over the years, some I've put on here but I always enjoy trying something different, especially when there is a "Mom's Secret Recipe" in the title.  I found this one here at Yummly.com


Mom's Secret Recipe Beef Stew - 8 servings

Takes about 2-1/4 hours from start to finish.


1-1/2 pounds lean beef, cut into 1-inch pieces

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 (28 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups baby carrots, or carrots cut into 1-inch thick slices

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Ready in: 2 hours 5 minutes

Toss beef with the flour.


Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and heat until hot.


Add the beef and cook for five minutes until browned, turning occasionally.


Add the tomatoes, broth, onion, pepper and thyme, and bring to a boil over high heat.


Reduce the heat to low and cover.


Simmer for 45 minutes or until the beef is just tender.


Add the potatoes and carrots; return to a boil.


Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the beef and vegetables are tender.





What did we think of this Beef Stew?  It had the most delicious broth.  That alone set it apart.  I thought of adding a little red wine because we usually love the richness it adds, but this recipe didn't seem to need it.  It stood on its own.

I have always tried to get out of browning the meat to save time but I read somewhere that browning seals in all the juices and prevents the meat from drying out.   


I pretty much followed the recipe and it will be in our favorites folder to be made again.  "Mom's Secret Recipe" was a win all round.


You can eat as is or serve it with a crusty roll, or even dumplings.


8 comments:

  1. It does look delicious. I have stopped browning the meat first, especially if it's going to cook all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stew and dumplings are one of my favorite comfort foods...I think we are about due to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like it would fill a tummy happily on a cold night Denise:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! i was searching all over for some great soup and stew recipes myself . . yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not made a beef stew in ages. You are right, when the weather gets cold a beef stew is a good idea. Today though here we had blue skies and the temperature went up to 67 F (19.4 C.) so I have to wait a bit longer for cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks really delish and seems so simple. I am going to print this and I let you know!!!!

    and I agree about the browning of the meat, I don't skip that step but it is always a little bit of a pain!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was able to pin it!!! happy dance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise, this looks scrumptious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete