Monday, September 15, 2008

Today's Flowers

How wonderful to be able to see flowers from every part of the globe. I am very happy to participate in 'Today's Flowers' as each place I go to I can improve my knowledge of them.

Luiz' blog has links that will take you to the most beautiful blooms from just about every part of the world. You can get there by clicking on the logo above.

The photographs I am sharing today came from The United States Botanic Garden in Washington DC. There you will also find flowers from all over. The one above is an hibiscus. The one below belongs to the ginger plant family, Curcuma Roscoeana.

This is called a Feather Plant.

This pretty pink one I don't really know what it is. I try to take photos of the identification as I go along, but I missed this one. If you know what it is, please let me know and I will come back and name it.
The next two photos are of the Golden Barrel Cactus.


Not actually a flower but I thought it was a fascinating specimen, called a Silk Floss Tree.


We found these larger than life models. You pressed a button and a recorded voice would tell you about a particular part of the plant. Fascinating!


Also fascinating, large prints of microscopic parts of a plant or flower on the walls. This particular one was a geranium flower.
And this the surface of a leaf.

18 comments:

  1. All of them are great but I love the second one most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unusual flowers and plants. I was thinking I'd hate to accidentally sit on that cactus. It has a nice round shape like a foot stool but ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for share so beautiful Botanic Garden flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. Your photos are very nice, and it looks like such an interesting place to visit. The feather plant is amazing, and I agree that the cacti are fascinating. Very pretty though. I'm not sure what the pink flower is, I've seen both dahlias and mums that looked similar to that. It's beautiful, whatever it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful, Denise. The Botanic Gardens look like a fab place for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of fantastic flowers. How lovely.

    A x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful place to visit and make photographs. You got some really lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would LOVE to see those over sized flowers.....Thanks for sharing your excursion :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetins from Finland.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.
    You have interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite is the second photo. But they are all very nice, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your photos very beautiful and interesting..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  13. the first and 4th flowers are fabulous...my favorite color, pink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the cactus shots.. those are quite fascinating...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...what a cool bunch of plants! Loved all of them especially that ginger plant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great series of flowers!
    I loved the first!
    Marvelous Hibiscus(?)!
    Thanks for join us in TODAY'S FLOWERS and hope to see you every week!
    If you want, send me a flower and I'll post soon in TF.
    You find my e-mail in my profile!
    Have a nice days,

    Luiz

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing array of pics! Each one has a special magic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those microscopic prints are fascinating and almost unreal looking!

    ReplyDelete